Friday, June 27, 2014

Backyard Camping!

Poor Adyson always feels left out. Big sister gets sleepovers, goes places that Adyson can't. Daddy travels for work so sometimes it's just us. I know she loves spending time with me, but she's getting older and wants to do more.

Soooooo, she came up with the idea of camping! (I could go for a night out, the dog has been having some gastrointestinal issues. So my house smells like rotten egg, YUCK!!!! and if anybody knows how to fix these issues please let me know) She wants to roast marshmallows and tell stories, run around the yard and catch Lightningbugs, etc. I checked the weather.


Clear skies, with the exception of Friday being 50% chance of scattered showers, and Saturday at 20%.

Before I hauled the tent out I had a little talk with Adyson. "You know Adyson when you camp there is no electricity." I said to her. Her eyes got a little big with a hint of a question coming.

"What do you mean there is no electricity?" She asked very confused. 

"There are no lights in the tent." I replied.

"That's okay I still have everything on my iPod. I'll be fine". She said.

"Adyson when your iPod dies I can't charge it in the tent. Remember there is no electricity in the tent." I said. 

"Okay I'll bring books. And I'll need my flashlight!" She was getting so excited!

 I hauled the little tent out of the garage and around to the backyard. Little dome tents are fantastic, they go up so quick and easy! I have the tent up in no time. Everyone came to find out what was going on. 

                                   


Then it was time to gather firewood. So I loaded up Adyson into the little wagon started the lawnmower and headed out to the field. And of course everyone gathered around to find out what we were doing. Chocolate the goat had to taste the lawnmower! 






Next we went inside to find blankets and sleeping bags. Adyson was so excited to be able to use her ninja turtle sleeping bag! My cousin bought it for her,  and until now had only been used in the house. She was so excited that she already had a sleeping bag! 



So we get the blankets, sleeping bag and pillows by the back door. Round up the flashlights. Pack our backpacks, because you know we have to put the flashlights and books in the backpacks along with a change of clothes, per Adyson. "Just in case we need extra stuff Mommy." was what I was told. It works for me! We got out the roasting sticks, got our snack bag together with all our goodies. We did our evening chores ( feeding and watering all the animals, watered the garden, etc) then we headed out for our "great adventure" as Adyson put it! 

Now it was my job to light the campfire. I pondered how to light this fire. I had never been in charge of lighting a fire before. So I go collecting cardboard and magazines and start layering everything up! It only took 6 cardboard cereal boxes and 3 magazines to get the fire lit. Hey I was impressed I pulled it off! The fire gets going and we sit back to enjoy. We are both starving by this point so it was time to roast weenies! 





She was so excited to be able to "cook" her own dinner! She was proud of herself. My mother's dad was an avid camper. He taught all of us grandkids early to roast marshmallows and weenies. I think he is looking down and smiling right now!

Since Adyson is normally not allowed outside after dark she was having the time of her life playing in the backyard. She wanted to Shadow Dance. So I held the flashlight while she danced and laughed at her shadow.

             

Since the bugs were bothering me, (in Tennessee the bugs are ridiculous) but Adyson was having the time of her life I suggested we go sit in the tent. The fire had gone out by this point. So we made our way in to the tent where we read books to each other and did shadow puppets!!! 

                                        


I guess all the excitement wears you out. It wasn't long and she was sleeping! 


Being raised in the camping life. You learn to take your shoes off before you go in a tent. So I had taken my flops off when we went into the tent. When I woke up (thankfully in the morning) I looked outside and found my beautiful big boy staring me in the face. Doesn't he kind of look like he is grinning? Let me tell you why.  

HE STOLE MY FLOPS, in the middle of the night. So I made the trek to the house, in the dewy grass, dodging dog poo, BARE FOOT!!!! Thank goodness I did not have to get up in the middle of the night! 

                                       

All in all it was a blast. The best part is Adyson wants to do it all over again! :) Gee I can't wait! 

P.S. I found my flops in the dog house. I guess that was his way of saying "Thanks for not letting me in the tent!"

No comments:

Post a Comment