Friday, February 15, 2013

Week 7

The weather still doesn't know what it wants to do. I'm hoping spring is coming soon. Getting very impatient for spring to get here. 

Adyson & Snowflake

Rella


FARM HAPPENINGS-
Tessa
We had exciting times on the farm this last week, it was time for everyone to get their wormer and bug treatments. It was fun mixing up solutions for the bug treatments, that was easy. Now getting the treatment sprayed/poured on animals, now thats a different story. The big girls (cows) did well. The goats, no way. Had to trap them in the stall and pray for the best. In the end I won, so I consider this a success! I only spilled 1 dose!!!!  This week I have been researching heavily on ORGANIC/NATURAL ways to treat my animals instead of using antibiotics and chemicals. Not having much luck. I know there HAS to be a way because I was reading the guidelines for USDA Organic and it said you can not give antibiotics, chemical treatments, etc to any animal. So how do farmers treat their animals for sickness, bugs (lice, fleas, ticks) etc? I don't know either.... Working on this. So if you have any information, send it my way PLEASE!


FAMILY TIME- This week Brittany helped me get the animals treated. We laughed, slipped in mud, got a dose of bug stuff on us. We have been relaxing together in the living room a lot this week. I made dinner 2 times this week and we have been eating left overs for the rest! that was kind of nice. 

HEALTHY EATING- I know these 2 recipes have "seasoning packets" in them. I'm looking for recipes to make my own taco, ranch and cream of soup mixes. I will be putting some of them to the test in the next couple weeks. 

Ranch Pork Chops

4 pork chops, ranch seasoning packet, cream of chicken soup, 1 can water) ~ 

Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.  You can easily double the recipe if needed. I made rice one night and noodles the next night to go with the gravy/sauce. 

Crockpot  Mexican Chicken

couple chicken breast, can of black beans, can of rotel, can of corn (or mexi--corn), 1 packet of taco seasoning, (YOU CAN add 1 hr before serving 1 -8oz cream cheese)
Cook on low 6-8 hrs. You can serve this over rice, tortilla chips, for tacos, burritos.

EXERCISE- gotten plenty of that this week. Mucking stalls, hay, chasing animals for treatments. Oh did I mention that I helped CHASE my neighbors cow through 2 pastures. This past week has been all about the animals finding holes in the fence. My neighbors dog got out. 
My goats got out once (crawled UNDER the fence in the creek bed, BUT all I did was shake a feed bucket and they came running back :) So fast walking, running has 

ORGANIZING- I found a trick in a book to organize all my cards. (I can't remember what book.) yes I know cards seem "old fashion" but I still send cards to many people throughout the year. I find them on sale after a holiday( valentines day, Easter, Christmas, etc) and save them until the next holiday. I used to put them all in a shoe box and dig for them when I needed them until now! I repurposed an accordion file. I labeled the tabs -address labels, envelope stickers, Birthday, thinking of you, sympathy, missing you, holiday,etc. So now they are all organized by category and protected from being bent/thrown in a box. I was also able to paper clip a set if stamps & clip 2 pens to the first tab so everything to write a card is in one place.

READING- lots of internet time. researching how to treat my animals naturally. Looking for ORGANIC ways to prevent/deter fleas, ticks, lice, etc. Since summer is coming. I have found Tee Tree oil is a GREAT oil to dilute in your shampoos and conditioners, lotions, soaps etc for skin problems and insect deterrent/repellent. Also Lavender oil. 

Also found great uses for olive oil. Olive oil is WONDERFUL for cooking and using as part of your beauty routine. 

CRAFTS- Adyson and I chose to make our Valentine cards this year. We took construction paper and folded it in 1/2. I cut out the heart shape. Then I took about 10 sheets of different colored tissue paper and folded them in 1/2 and cut a heart shape. I let Adyson glue the tissue hearts to the construction paper heart. She had a blast.

NO CHEMICALS- I found a "recipe" for homemade furniture polish. I was impressed with the POLISHING aspect BUT it doesn't CLEAN. So if you have any dried on spots from drink spills or food you will have to clean them up first BEFORE using polish. I HAVE NOT USED THIS ON RAW WOOD only furniture that has a clear coat/protected.  Best of all I love how my hands feel after using this polish, since its ALL NATURAL there was no need to wash my hands after using it. You can only make small batches of this because it will go bad (I haven't tried to refrigerate it, I made a small batch & used what I made), since I dust my house once a week I can take 30 seconds to make the polish as I need it. Best of all this is SAFE FOR YOUR CHILDREN TO BE AROUND.


Furniture Polish

2 tbl olive oil - (GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN TOO!)
1 tbl lemon juice (GOES BAD IF NOT REFRIGERATED)
small spray bottle- labeled (small 3 oz SPRAY bottle, found in the "travel" isle of the store)

Pour ingredients together in spray bottle. Put lid on and shake! For me a little went along way. Spray a little on a small space and TEST just to make sure it is safe for your furniture! Polish/buff with a clean dry cloth!

All of my furniture (coffee table, entertainment center, bookshelf, end tables passed) they all have a clear coat! I have NOT used this on my raw wood YET!

GARDENING- I have found that the Lavender plant has TONS of good things to provide us, insect repellent, wonderful smell/perfume to add to soaps, room deodorizers, etc. So I have decided to plant some from seed. Most say its a little difficult to grow from seed, so wish me luck! 
Going to make a "fertilizer tea" organic farmers use it instead of commercial stuff. Supposed to be really good for tomatoes, peppers and any other plants that need a little kick. When you do your own research about this process you will find MANY versions. This to ME is the simplest way to start getting into the "teas". 

Fertilizer Tea
a scoop/shovel of livestock poop (cow,horse (chicken poop use 1/2 scoop) & outside garbage can filled with water. Stir it up a little and let it steep for 3-5 days. Use to water your plants. 


My African Violets still have sent any shoots out yet. Its been 3 weeks.
My tomato, cucumber plants are about 6-8 inches tall!!! 
Green peppers are about 4 inches tall
kohlrabi is stumped. It hasn't done a lot in a couple weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment