Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Half -Homemade Beauty Recipes

                    Over the last year I have found several beauty recipes for face wipes, baby wipes, facial toners, etc. There was trial and error while I made these. Some required expensive ingredients, others required 2-3 days to "set up" before you could use it. There were a few that I absolutely LOVED. To make it a keeper it had to have a few things. They had to be SIMPLE to make. The recipe had to be CHEAPER than the "original" version. The ones I LOVED so much I actually ditched the commercial brand and made them a  permanent part of my beauty drawer. 

RULES OF MAKING WIPES...

-When making wipes ALWAYS use BOUNTY paper towels. The generics do NOT hold up. 
- Always use DISTILLED water, this is not the same as filtered. 
-2-3 drops of Tea Tree oil is good to add to prevent mold/mildew in your wipes
- keep them out of the direct sun. Put them behind a picture frame, throw a towel over them, in a cupboard, etc. The sun heats up the wipes and causes the mold/mildew
- find a container big enough for the wipes. I use a 2qt pitcher, I pull the wipes through the pour spout it works fabulous!!! (At the store-Go to the towels and get a roll, then go to the container isle and try and stuff them into the container, it should be a tight fit.)


BABY WIPES-

1 roll BOUNTY paper towels (cut in half)
2 cups DISTILLED water
2-3 drops tea tree oil
1-2 teaspoon baby shampoo

Put your paper towels CUT SIDE down into your container. Mix all your liquids together by stirring. Do not shake them as this will activate the bubbles and you will have a sudsy mess! Microwave 30-45 seconds. Pour over the paper towels starting on the inside cardboard and work your way out. Let it sit 5-10 minutes, then flip and sit for 5-10 minutes. Pull the cardboard out of the middle, and this should start the roll. If it does not then pull out out of the middle. Do not pull out of the sides, it will not work well! 












FACIAL WIPES/MAKE UP REMOVER WIPES

1 roll BOUNTY paper towels (cut in half)
2 cups DISTILLED water
2-3 drops tea tree oil
2 teaspoon coconut oil *
2 teaspoon of facial soap (do not use the "scrubbing/exfoliating" washes, the "scrubbies" will sit on top of your wipes)
I LOVE this as my facial cleanser. Its very mild and half the chemicals! 


Put your paper towels CUT SIDE down into your container. Mix all your liquids together by stirring. Do not shake them as this will activate the bubbles and you will have a sudsy mess! Microwave 30-45 seconds. *Make sure you melt the coconut oil, so it seeps into the paper towels. Pour over the paper towels starting on the inside cardboard and work your way out. Let it sit 5-10 minutes, then flip and sit for 5-10 minutes. Pull the cardboard out of the middle, and this should start the roll. If it does not then pull out out of the middle. Do not pull out of the sides, it will not work well! 




FACIAL TONER

2 GREEN TEA bags
3/4 cup DISTILLED water
1/4 cup witch hazel
2-3 drops tea tree oil
container to hold 8 oz (I just refilled my empty bottle)

Heat your water in the microwave for 1 minute. Drop in both tea bags. Let them steep until they are at room temp. Pull the bags out. Stir in the tea tree oil and witch hazel. Pour in the container and its ready! Use just like you use your current toner! 






BODY SCRUB

1 cup Olive Oil
1 cup Sugar
2 tablespoons used coffee grounds
2-3 drops Essential Oil/Perfume oil -(When using Essential oils or Perfume oils a little goes a LONG way.) I only use these so the my scrub smells pretty! This is optional.
16 oz bottle

Pour/Mix all together in a reusable bottle 16 oz bottle. Shake the bottle very well to mix everything together. I LOVE this recipe. I use it every time I get in the shower, especially in the winter. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a soap perfume (which means its safe for skin, do not buy a candle perfume!!) to add to my oil, I bought LoveSpell it smells wonderful. I want to try Orange Blossom Essential Oil next! 

 CAUTION- shower may be slippery after using this, make sure you spray a little cleaner/vinegar afterwards!!!! 

Make sure you choose a bottle with a pea-size spout to pour out of. 
 

The blue spout the right has a squared spout and does not work well with the scrub. You need a spout similar to the gray spout (which is from a reused bottle of V05 hair shampoo)
Follow the recipe, that way you have enough room to shake the bottle to mix everything



I hope you have as much fun making these as I did. Let me know if you have any questions! I would be happy to answer! 





3 comments:

  1. Courtney!! These are great tips. I may need to try a couple of them. The Plastic pitcher idea is pure genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the aldi brand paper towel for my baby wipes and they worked fine. I made sure I bought the extra strong. I don't use your recipe though, so I will have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete